Many recitors around the world have specialised in all ten recitations, some having done less, others more. But most people recite the Riwaayah Hafs ‘an ‘Aasim, with its chain going back to the Prophet (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam).
FULL NAME: Hafs bin Sulaymaan bin al-Mugheerah al-Asadi (d. 180 AH)
- He was a prominent Qaaree of Kufah.
- He was a cloth merchant.
- From amongst the disciples of ‘Aasim, he was the most learned in the qiraa’ah of ‘Aasim.
- He Qiraa’ah was most popular in Makkah, Baghdaad and Koofah.
- Even today it is extremely popular.
- The printed Qur’aan bears the qiraa’ah narrated by him and has been given preference over the rest of the qiraa’at.