- 3/4 cup onion skinned and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (Bolten)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 lbs minced beef. lamb or mutton
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup peas
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili crushed.
- Combine the onion, ginger, garlic, and oil in the container of a food processor or blender. Blend to a fine puree.
- Spoon and scrape the mixture into a small skillet and cook, stirring often, until mixture almost starts to brown, but do not brown.
- Add the curry powder, cinnamon, turmeric, coriander, and cumin and stir to blend.
- Add the meat and cook, stirring and chopping down with the side of a heavy metal spoon to break up any lumps.
- When the meat has lost its raw look, add the tomatoes, lime juice and sugar.
- Add a generous grinding of pepper and the hot red pepper.
- Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the peas and continue cooking until the peas are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve with rice, cucumbers and yogurt, carrots with yogurt or mint with yogurt.
Serves: 8 people.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes.
Cooking Time: 35 minutes.